Monday, May 5, 2014

Word Heights


  The only thing worse than the fear of bad writing is the fear of a blank page. You could probably do a scientific article on this subject and find this to be true for most writers. Filling a blank page is one of the hardest things there is in writing, whether it’s a grade school essay or a scene in your novel.

  For most cases this type of writer’s block doesn’t even have to do with a lack of ideas, but the visualization of that scene in your head, and the massive cliff you’re going to have to climb up to get through it. Sometimes I block off my fear of word-heights by closing my eyes (as I’m typing now) or covering my screen with a blanket and listening to instrumental music so the only thing my brain can wander through are these words (ye olde brain is not much of a multi-tasker).

  I find it hilarious to read through writing magazines and come across these loaded pieces of advice about writer’s block, like you can get a college degree in anti-procrastination and high-concept idea making. You probably can, but I still think that when you are a writer, you can’t really be taught how to get ideas. You have to search and find the way by yourself, because writing is all about the journey of life through your hands. While most of us probably use tools such as images and prompts, we all use them in different ways.

  Learn how to use words as your tools. Pay attention to what makes ideas click in your head. Pay attention to what you’re trying to say, and hardwire a failsafe against your urge to procrastinate. Make sure that the second you think "Facebook is a click away" you finish the sentence with "from missing out on the best paragraph I've written in my life".

1 comment :

  1. You are so right. Nobody can learn anti-procrastination from someone else. And I can't listen to music with lyrics while writing either. xD

    ReplyDelete